This privacy statement applies to the processing of personal data by Coöperatie Forest Flint U.A.
This privacy statement implements Forest Flint’s obligation to provide information to data subjects whose personal data are processed by Forest Flint, as set out in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This privacy statement dates from August 2020. Forest Flint reserves the right to amend his privacy statement at any time. Amendments to the privacy statement will be published on www.forestflint.com.
2. Who is responsible for the use of personal data?
Coöperatie Forest Flint U.A. is the data controller as described in the GDPR for the types of processing described in part 3.
In some cases, Forest Flint considers itself to share responsibility as controller with its client. In such circumstances, Forest Flint normally will agree with its client that both Forest Flint and the client will provide information requested by individuals exercising their privacy rights.
In exceptional cases, for example if Forest Flint is processing personal data in a digital environment created by the client, Forest Flint is the data processor and the client is the data controller. If that is the case, Forest Flint will if appropriate enter into a processing agreement with the client.
3. When does Forest Flint process personal data?
Forest Flint processes personal data to offer legal services, to improve the quality of its services, to perform mandatory tasks and obligations, and to be able to communicate with you.
4. What personal data does Forest Flint process?
As a law firm, Forest Flint processes data concerning natural persons, i.e. personal data. For example, Forest Flint may collect and process the following personal data:
- Basic administrative data, such as your first name and surname, address, and a copy of your ID
- Contact details, such as your e-mail address, postal address and telephone number
- Company information, such as the Trade Register number, VAT number, payment and bank details
- Personal data that you share with us in the context of a job application, such as your first name and surname, address, date of birth, nationality, marital status and any other personal details provided in the context of your application
- Personal data provided to us by third parties (including opposing parties), such as your basic administrative data and contact details
- Personal data that are available from public sources, public commercial websites and commercial social media platforms such as LinkedIn
5. Whose personal data are processed by Forest Flint?
For example, Forest Flint processes data relating to:
- Persons who are clients of Forest Flint or who are employed by clients of Forest Flint
- Third parties whose information appears in matters we are handling, for example opposing parties, other lawyers, and third parties such as experts
- Visitors to our offices
- Persons who provide us with products or services (suppliers)
- Job applicants
6. With what purpose and on what basis does Forest Flint process my personal data?
Forest Flint solely uses personal data to:
- provide legal services, e.g. to perform our services under the agreement of instruction (overeenkomst van opdracht) or conduct (legal or other) proceedings
- send and collect invoices
- provide advisory and mediation services, and referrals for our clients
- comply with legal and mandatory obligations
- market our services and communicate with you
- recruit and select job applicants
Forest Flint processes personal data on the basis of one of the following legal grounds:
- for the proper execution of an agreement
- on the basis of your consent
- to comply with legal obligations we are subject to
- on the basis of our legitimate interests
7. How does Forest Flint keep my personal data secure?
Forest Flint considers your privacy to be important and has taken appropriate measures to protect your personal data against destruction, loss, modification, unauthorised disclosure or unauthorised access. Persons working at Forest Flint are bound by confidentiality and must adhere to our instructions that are designed to provide adequate protection for your personal data. Where Forest Flint retains the services of third parties, such as an IT supplier, Forest Flint will safeguard the protection of personal data by entering into a processor agreement concerning appropriate security measures.
8. Does Forest Flint share my personal data with third parties?
Forest Flint will share your personal data with third parties only to the extent that it is necessary to properly execute our agreement of instruction and in accordance with the objectives listed above.
For example, Forest Flint may share your personal data with another lawyer engaged to handle your matter during absence or leave, or in the context of an expert investigation, or when we engage a third party to provide services to you, such as an IT supplier. We may also (be required to) provide your data in the context of judicial or other procedures or correspondence with the opposing party. Finally, Forest Flint may disclose your personal data to a third party such as a supervisory authority or another body that exercises public authority, but only to the extent that it is required to do so by law.
If Forest Flint instructs a third party to process certain personal data, we will conclude a processor agreement to ensure the third party will also comply with the GDPR. Third parties engaged by Forest Flint that offer services as a data controller (such as accountants, civil-law notaries, or another third party engaged for a second opinion or expert report) bear their own responsibility for compliance with the GDPR for any subsequent processing of your personal data.
9. How long does Forest Flint store my data?
Forest Flint does not retain the personal data provided for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy statement or than is required by law or regulation.
10. What are my rights?
You can request to access your data, and have the opportunity to correct, delete or export your personal data. You may also restrict or object to the processing of your personal data by Forest Flint.
11. Who can answer questions about processing of my personal data?
You can contact our Data Protection Officer via email@example.com with any questions you may have on how Forest Flint processes your personal data.
Forest Flint will only respond to requests relating to your own personal data. Circumstances may arise, for example where there is a duty of confidentiality based on our legal privilege or a statutory retention period, that prevent Forest Flint from providing a full response to your request as a data subject.
You are entitled to submit a complaint to the supervisory authority. In the Netherlands, that is the Dutch Data Protection Authority.